Tuesday 24 November 2009

I'm SuperDry!!!!




The 'designers dress code'- a statement of beautiful uniformity. The heady mix of quirky and contempory style, a statement of 'arms-length conservatism', "I need to appear creative, but not so crazy as you wont hire me, but not boring as you'll think I'm not creative!'. Its the couture tightrope we walk every day.

Its not like were all doctors wearing white coats or surgical scrubs, (practical necessity) or say, in the Armed Forces (equality and simplicity). For a creative profession that is supposed to embrace innovation, the irony is that large number of participants dress exactly the same! How quaint!

The latest designer 'Brand du jour' is currently SuperDry, a japanese clothes company..and thats all I know about them. This 'Superdry' thing isnt new, its been going on for a while, but as i was walking to work this morning, I couldn't help but notice the words 'superdry' on almost everything, and I mean almost fucking everything. Jackets made of that slightly greasy looking oilskin material (a new young mans Barbour?), bags, shoes, and most importantly, the designer staple...the t-shirt.

A few years ago, 'ironic statements' were all the rage, the staple of that fad being the "This is supposed to be the future, where is my jetpack" t-shirt. Now, you cant walk for a wall of twats wearing Superdry ,or on the days when mums doing the washing, Hollister.

So next time I am in my 'Agile Scrum' sipping my Machiato, tapping on my iPhone, you're sure to recognise me, I'm the surly one wearing "SuperDry".

No comments:

Post a Comment